Pre-conference workshops are an additional cost. You can register for this workshop and other workshops when you register for the conference. Register online.
About the Workshop
Every week, we get questions from clients asking, How do we really know what our users want? How do we ensure our design will work for users? How can we be confident that our design changes are actually improving our product? To answer these questions, Christine Perfetti has put together a one-day Usability Bootcamp to provide you with the skills to evaluate and improve your designs.
In the one-day workshop, Christine will share proven techniques for understanding your users, gathering user feedback, and evaluating your designs. She'll teach you all of the steps to conduct your own usability tests, including how to plan the tests, recruit users, facilitate the sessions, analyze the data, and communicate the results.
What You’ll Learn
In the Usability Bootcamp, IA Summit attendees will learn:
- How to plan all of the steps for a successful usability study.
- How to recruit the right users. You'll see some simple techniques for writing a good screening questionnaire that quickly identifies the perfect participants.
- What makes a good task? Christine will show you how to write tasks that get you the answers you're seeking. You'll review examples of both good and poor scenarios.
- How to become a better facilitator. You'll learn proven techniques for keeping the participants relaxed while they share their frustrations and delights with the design.
- How to prioritize the usability test findings with observers. Christine will teach you how to conduct a KJ analysis, an interactive exercise for prioritizing data, with your observers.
- The best ways to analyze the test results. You'll see how to decide what to report and how it can best help your particular audience, whether it's senior management or members of the technical staff.
Attendees Should Bring Their Laptops and Examples of Their Work!
For this workshop, we highly recommend that attendees bring their laptops and examples of sites or products you’d like to evaluate.
At the workshop, you'll have plenty of opportunities to practice your usability testing skills. We will have internet access, so please bring your laptops with you. If you're working on a web site or web application, you'll have an opportunity to test your own product.
If you have a product you'd like to evaluate, please come to the class with work samples or a mockup of your design. We'll do our best to review your product during the day.