Pre-conference workshops are an additional cost. You can register for this workshop and other workshops when you register for the conference. Register online.
About the Workshop
This full day workshop will provide you with a thorough overview and understanding of information architecture theory & practice. It will cover a wide range of IA issues, including an understanding of how it fits into a project, fundamental skills & knowledge required for IA work and current IA issues. It will be theoretical and practical and allow you to immediately apply ideas to your projects.
During the workshop, you’ll learn:
- What information architecture is and how it relates to other user experience disciplines
- Core IA techniques – analysing content, conducting user research, card sorting and more
- Core IA theories – classification, categorisation, metadata & labelling
- IA patterns – structures for different types of sites
- Designing navigation & page layouts
- Putting it together in an IA project
- Current issues in IA
At the end of the workshop, you will understand:
- how to design sites that help users find what they want
- what organisational scheme or schemes are best for your content
- how to conduct user research that helps develop your information architecture
- how to conduct a card sorting exercise
- how core IA theories, such as metadata, classification, and categorisation affect your site’s success
- how to conduct a content analysis and develop a solid IA structure
- how to design effective navigation and page layouts
The workshop will combine discussion, questions and hands-on activities. Extensive notes and resources will be provided for further personal exploration.